The RCNews Internship Program offers students the opportunity to take their studies and apply them in a real-life, working with other journalists to help produce news on air and online.
The 1-year program is open to registered students in good standing at an accredited college or university. Candidates should be majoring in journalism, communications or another applicable field.
These are not paid positions and its remote.
As part of the application process, select one or more of the following teams to join:
The RCNews Assignment Desk
The assignment desk is the hub of the newsroom and the front line of news gathering. Assignment editors confirm information for a story, coordinate with crews in the field and work to find the best media out there. A passion for news is a must. Candidates should be detail-oriented and able to multitask under tight deadlines. He or she must be able to follow directions, perform duties, work well with others and make independent decisions.
- Make periodic “beat checks” to law enforcement and fire agencies in outside counties for breaking stories and spot news
- Assist reporters in the field with information gathering
- Research, fact-check and update stringer and freelance source material
- Assist planning editor in preparing and coordinating daily story coverage
- Monitor social media sites for content and breaking news
- Monitoring competing newscasts and logging content and material
- Maintain accurate accounting of third-party purchases
- Seek permission/authorization to use social media material, as requested by producers
The RCNews Digital Team
RCNews’s digital team takes our station’s reporting and distributes it on republikcitynew.online and on our social media channels, crafting stories specifically for a digital audience. Interns earn multiple bylines writing news stories for our website, learn how to cut and post video, and get experience creating social media posts to promote station content. The most qualified applicants will have excellent writing and copy editing skills, good news judgment, reporting experience and a passion for journalism.
Candidates with newsroom experience writing and reporting, including for a college news outlet, will be given preference.
- Write stories in AP Style covering daily local news
- Synthesize reporting from many different sources (including phone interviews, news releases, transcripts, in-field facts gathered by on-air reporters, and social media posts)
- Work with an experienced editor to improve writing skills
- Read, select and post national and international stories from the CNN Wire
- Call sources when additional reporting is needed
- Create posts in WordPress VIP
- Craft social media posts to best promote a variety of stories
- Work with on-air reporters and digital producers to best present broadcast stories online
- Select and edit photos from Getty Images
Internship candidates can apply online at https://www.republikcitynews.online/careers/ Then, use the form below to indicate which teams you’re interested in joining and what you hope to learn during your internship: